Couchsurfing: you can do it too!

There are many reasons why I love Europe. One of them is that it has a "connecting people" culture (remember the Nokia slogan?).

Recently I found this hospitality community which seems quite popular in Europe and around the world, called CouchSurfing. In the beginning it's the usual stuff: you subscribe, make a profile, put a load of info about yourself inside, play a bit around with the features. The surprising thing is that it actually works!

The aim of CouchSurfing is hospitality and traveling. You offer your couch for travelers who pass by your town to crush for a night or two. The same way, if you are on the road, you can find a free place to put your body at night. The extra benefit is that you meet interesting people in both cases and that you get to know a bit the local life or you get some stories from the far land of the stranger-in-your-couch.


I actually just had my first CouchSurfing guest, a guy called Seth (veeery Star Wars name, ain't it?) from Georgia, USA. He's also a student engineering and around my age, so we had a lot to talk about. Seth stayed for 2 nights in my house and then continued his trip around Greece. He did a bit of sightseeing around town, I took him a bit out at night, went for the typical frappe coffee. The overall experience was extremely positive! :)

All in all, I strongly recommend you to try CouchSurfing! It's very safe and it's a nice way to escape a bit from the daily routine.


Similar communities: Hospitality Club